It’s been 12 long months since I packed up most of my recording gear and put it in storage while we waited for our house to be built. Well the day has finally arrived and it’s time to move in and start unpacking! Yay! If I look tired, it’s only because I am.
What’s New in Audacity Version 3.1?
Audacity version 3.1 has been released with some important changes. Audacity is continuing its progression toward non-destructive editing and one of those changes is in version 3.1. In this video, I talk about 4 new features in Audacity version 3.1:
- The Playhead Properties
- Moving and Deleting Audio
- Trimming Audio
- The New Loop Function.
- I recently launched a new on-demand video course at Udemy called ACX Audiobook Production Using Audacity. Check it out when you get a chance.
- I also teach a best-selling course at Udemy called Audacity Bootcamp: Beginner to Advanced. It’s currently 61 videos and 7+ hours of on-demand instruction in Audacity specifically designed for podcasters. If you’re a podcaster looking for a deep dive into Audacity, this course is for you. Check it out when you get a chance.
How to Remove Mouth Sounds in Audacity Using the Free De-Clicker Plugin
Audacity offers a powerful and free de-clicker plugin for removing unwanted mouth sounds and clicks that show up in your audio recording. This de-clicker plugin has become part of my post-production process for everything I record. Sticky mouth sounds in our recordings can quickly become annoying to the listener. There have been instances where I have stopped watching a video simply because the dry mouth sounds were so prominent. So let’s see what Audacity’s de-clicker plugin can do to eliminate those pesky sounds.
Links referenced in this video:
- Audacity De-Clicker Plugin
- Audacity’s plugin installation instructions for Mac
- Audacity’s plugin installation instructions for Windows
- Audacity’s plugin installation instructions for Linux
Mics I used to create this video (affiliate links):
I teach a best-selling podcast editing course on Udemy called Audacity Bootcamp: Beginner to Advanced: https://learnaudacity.com/
Audacity Version 3.0.4 Is Out
Audacity has announced the release of a new version. Audacity version 3.0.4 was released on August 24th. It’s a hotfix which means it was released to fix bugs in the previous version. There was a problem in version 3.0.3 with control points when using the Filter Curve and Graphic EQ effects. With this release I also got to test the update notification that was part of the version 3.0.3 update and I’m happy to say it works!
How to Open GarageBand Without Opening the Previous Project
In this video I’m going to show you how to start GarageBand without opening the last project you worked on. If you use GarageBand you already know that when you start it each time, it opens the last project by default. But you may not want that to happen each time. In this video I show you how to get around that and open GarageBand to a blank screen.
Rode NT USB Mini Microphone and RodeConnect Software Demo
Welcome to First Person Audio. In this video I take a look at the Rode NT-USB-Mini microphone and its associate recording software, RodeConnect. This little condenser mic has a cardioid pattern and is rugged with an all metal construction, making it a great choice for on-the-road travels and quick setup. While it’s a USB mic that can be used with any DAW, I coupled it with the RodeConnect software in this video for the purpose of demonstrating both the mic and the software that’s specifically designed for this mic. The first time you connect the Rode NT-USB-Mini mic to the Rode software, it prompts you to do a firmware upgrade on the mic. The reason it does this is to add an internal noise gate, compressor, exciter, and and low-pass filter to the mic itself, all of which can be controlled in the RodeConnect software. I paid for this mic out-of-pocket and I’m not associated with RRode in any way. Here’s some links for you:
- Rode NT-USB-Mini Microphone (Affiliate Link): https://amzn.to/3ASPTCZ
- RodeConnect Recording Software: https://rode.com/software/rode-connect
- Rode NT-1 XLR Condenser Mic with Shock Mount and Pop Filter (Affiliate Link): https://amzn.to/2XrFJuz